Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My son has his 2002 honda civic in a firestone auto repair

Customer Question

My son has his 2002 honda civic in a firestone auto repair shop which they said it needed head gaskets installed last week. He allowed them to do this and we went there on Wednesday to pick it up, when they told him the engine was producing a large amount of smoke out of the tailpipe, which it had never before done. They said he would need the engine replaced with a new engine and that they would absorb the cost of the head gaskets ($2200.00) upon his agreement to have the engine replaced. My question is, what are his rights as a consumer if the new engine doesn't solve the problem ? In other words, at what point can he back out of dealing with these people ?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Jersey
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thank you, Pearl.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My question is, what are his rights as a consumer if the new engine doesn't solve the problem ?

Response 1: The repair shop must bear the total cost of the repair--for the replacement of the engine.

In other words, at what point can he back out of dealing with these people ?

Response 2: If the repair does not solve the problem. He needs to take the car elsewhere to be looked at if the suggested repair does not solve the problem. The repair shop must bear the total cost of the engine replacement.

A 5-star rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive proper credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a 5-star rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.