Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I want to know if the dealership can contact me days after a

Customer Question

I want to know if the dealership can contact me days after a deal and ask for more money "dmv fees" that my paperwork says I paid.
JA: Regulations vary from place to place, so can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: They say they don't know this fees ahead of time, but the fee schedule is right online.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: I am in mass and they are in new York. my car is registered and and inspected. I didn't finance through them. manufacturer? why would I do that?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I gave them the check my credit union provided and a $200 deposit. The reg. fees on the P&S are $60 license and $75 title. They are trying to tell me that was a servicing fee. I just want to make sure they can't legal go after me for that money.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

The reason that you are being given for the alleged oversight is bogus. Before the car leaves the dealership's lot, the "DMV fees" are paid in full. The dealership has current information on the fees.

The dealership cannot legally go after you for the alleged DMV fee that should have paid and was indicated on the sale documents to have been paid before the car was delivered to you.