insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

I have questions about scams. A man called from the consumer

Customer Question

I have questions about scams. A man called from the consumer protection agency(supposedly) asking about sweepsteaks entrys. He told me to be careful and that I had won from a company out of Las Vegas, that he could see it on his computer screen, and anything else was probably a scam. The Vegas people did contact me weeks later and I believed them. The story goes on and on.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in CA .
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: This was a sweepstakes and the winnings were supposed to be $850,000. I do enter free sweepstakes all th time,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They told me all taxes were paid and set up an a delivery date and time. Then there was an 'excise ' tax at th airport for th courier to fly out. As I said it goes on and on. I was a fool or more like a chump.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 2 months ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Unfortunately, this is indeed a scam! Hopefully, you have not sent them any money yet! These facts mirror identically an ongoing scam. Here's the thing that will confirm that it's a scam for you. You should never send them any money up front or provide them any information about your bank accounts. If they want you to pay them anything to get your money, it's a scam. If you did in fact win a sweepstakes, they can easily simply deduct any expenses, taxes, fees, etc., from the money. if they tell you this is not possible, it's because there is in fact no money from which to deduct these costs. There are no sets of circumstances where if you truly won a sweepstakes that you should have to do anything but receive your money net of any expenses. If they tell you otherwise, all that tells you is you won nothing and you are being scammed.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I wish I could tell you this is legitimate, but, I can only provide you information based on the law and my experience so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!