Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Second opinion] - my husband sold a shell of a car in

Customer Question

Second opinion] - my husband sold a shell of a car in December of 2013. the buyer was told he could leave the car there for up to 30 days. his wife called 1 year later and said that someone was coming to pick up the car, no one showed up. his wife called about 1 yr after the first call and asked if the car was still there, when told yes she stated that someone would be there to get it on the weekend. about three months later we noticed that the car was not there. wife called and asked if my husband was the man who had the 1960 chevy impala for sale, he stated that he had sold it. he did not realize that she was the wife of the buyer. when he tried to explain this, she yelled and stated that he could not sell this car as her husband had bought it. husband called later and again stated that we could not sell this car as he was the owner. tried to tell him that wife did not say who she was and this was misunderstanding. also told his that his car had already been picked up, that it was not here anymore. we thought and still believe that he came and got it. my husband was sarcastic about the car, and where it might be. it was not until we received a letter suing us that we thought maybe he didn't have it. called Berkeley co sherrifs office and reported a possible missing/stolen car. deputy came out but could not take official report because the car was not ours even though it was on our property. we received 0 storage fee for the car, and could have gotten rid of this car anytime after 30-45 days just by going to court house and filling out papers. offered to give the man back the 1300.00 that he paid, but he stated that he would send it back, he wants 5000.00 + 6% interest now. court is 10/20/16 at 9:30a
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: we live in WV, but buyer lives in VA. car was located in WV where we live.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: tried to fill a missing/stolen car, but because the car was sold we could not file, but deputy filled her own report d/t coming out on call
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: buyer has filled a breach of contract d/t loss/sold car
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

are you asking for options to pursue a claim?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just want to know what to do. he said he was coming to get car, car then left. now being sued. how can this happen
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want a phone call, I want what the 46.00 pays for.

No call needed. will suggest some options.

Typically want to negotiate a settlement and use the following for leverage.

You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

thank you in advance.