Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

Can a doctor bill be turned over to collection enen though I

Customer Question

Can a doctor bill be turned over to collection enen though I called and told them I could send in $40.00 per month. They told me they couldn't set me up on a payment plan because the minimum was $81.00 per month. So I sent a $40.00 payment because I told them that was all I could afford at this time and it cleared my bank, then they turned it over to collection agency anyways. Is that legal
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Legally, unless there is full payment or an agreement in writing, a doctor could do so. Obviously, it is not a wise decision, and in the end, the patient will often end up working out a settlement with the collection agency. If the agency turns it over to a lawyer, the patient will often work it out with a lawyer. If the lawyer is unreasonable, the court will eventually get involved and mediate a payment plan.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I didn't think they could if I was already sending in payments to the best of my ability like I told them on the phone.

They shouldnt, but they technically could. It has happened. The only thing that stops them is a written agreement to accept the payment plan you offered or full payment. Obviously and practically, many creditors wont pursue you if they see you are doing your best to avoid spending time and money

Kindly rate me 5 stars. I wish you the best!

thank you in advance.

Is the answer acceptable?