Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

After hearing an advertisement on a local radio station, I

Customer Question

After hearing an advertisement on a local radio station, I payed a visit to a new car dealership. After a couple of hours of negotiating back and forth, we finally agreed on a deal at 0 down and the price of the car was reduced by $5000. I signed a purchase contract on a new car on 9/5/16. After purchasing full coverage insurance the following day 9/6/2016, I returned to the dealership to present the coverage. At that time I was given a full overview of the car with a temporary tag, the keys and congrats. 14 days later I got a call indicating that I needed to come back and resign some documents regarding the $2500 rebate. I agreed to come in the next day on 9/20/2016. Before I could leave to make the***** I received a 2nd call indicating that I needed $1000 down because the lender would not approve the loan without it. He indicated that a mistake was made on their end as to how the $2500 rebate was applied and that the lender was under the impression that I made a downpayment. I explained that the deal was completed without a downpayment and that I did not feel I should have to pay for their mistake because the deal was without a down payment. The Rep then stated that he would try to resolve the issue with the lender. Today 10/3/2016 received a text message from different Rep indicating that the car would be reported stolen if I did not call them ASAP. After calling them back I was told that if I did not pay them $1000 downpayment or bring the car back within 24 hours that the car would be reported stolen. I need to know what are my rights in this situation?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Legally, if financing is not approved, you should return the vehicle and cancel the sale. The dealer cannot impose new fees, terms or other charges. If dealer claimed you had been approved, it has to honor those terms and cannot threaten you with anything criminal or otherwise.

Let me know if that is acceptable.

If I can clarify anything, reply and ask me.

Please rate me 5 stars.

thanks in advance.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 17 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer is acceptable.