LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  I have more than 25 years experience in the legal profession.
15277592

Does a debt collections agency have the right to collect a

Customer Question

Does a debt collections agency have the right to collect a debt from a person had power of attorney over a person who is now deceased?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon Louis,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am a GA licensed attorney.

A Power of Attorney only allows one person to act as the agent of another. The person with the Power of Attorney does not incur any personal liability for the debts that they enter into on behalf of the party they represent.

So no, a debt collection company does not have a right to collect the debt of the deceased from the person who acted as their POA while they were living. The debt collector must seek to claim the debt from the estate of the deceased.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug