Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Lawyer
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

I order a sofa from a lazy boy gallery on Saturday. When I

Customer Question

I order a sofa from a lazy boy gallery on Saturday. When I got home I realize the sofa is not what I want. It was a special order. When I realize it I sent an email to cancel the order. They will be closed on Sunday. I realize it is a special order , but it hasn't been 24 hours and I want to cancel it. The papers says the deposit is non refundable. I understand that ,but they haven't started working on the sofa yet. Can I ask for a refund or store credit or do I just lose the $900.00 .
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 2 months ago.

Hello Denise,

I found the La-z Boy Terms of Conditions of Sale policy on the web and it says the following:

Once your order is placed online, you will receive a swatch of the cover(s) you have chosen and the La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries closest to you will call to discuss your order. You may change or cancel your order within this period at any time.

So, apparently according to this you can cancel your order up until your local La-z Boy store calls and discusses your order with you. I encourage you to read the entire return policy in the link above

In addition, the terms of sale go on to state that they will not charge you the deposit until the store contacts you. So apparently you will not loose your deposit either until the store calls you to discuss your order.

So, I believe you are in good shape. Even though the terms say you can cancel until the store contacts you, I would not wait for them to call you. I would call them at your earliest opportunity.

Good luck.

Thomas