Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.

I have been talking to a guy for about two years he recently

Customer Question

Hi, I have been talking to a guy for about two years he recently asked me if his friend could have two packages sent to my house coming from his girlfriend because apparently this guy's girlfriend was married or something and he asked me if they sent the package here to me could I mail it out to him if they sent me a prepaid label to my email so I agreed that mail the packages yesterday today he was asking me to call about the package where I dropped it off at a DHL carrier he said it was showing that they needed to be contacted so I got the tracking number from him and I looked it up online and it said DHL at DFW Airport needed to be contacteducated so I told him to get the owner whoever ordered the merchandise or whoever paid for the shipping that they need to contact DHL he said they could not contact DHL because they were overseas and could not call them so I agreed to call them to find out what the problem was with the package the guy said it had been turned over to DHL fraud department and asked me what was in the package I told him there were two computers in the package he asked me if the computers have batteries I said yes I'm assuming they do so he said they could not be shipped because the batteries can cause fire and he would have the fraud department to contact me within 2 hours so I gave him my number and there was a lady that called and left a message because I was on another line apparently when they called and told me she would be removing it out of their department and that we needed to get in touch with the fraud department email so I go back to the guy I'm talking to and told him they need to get the owner to contact them by email and I gave them the email so far no one has heard anything back my question is can I get in trouble if there some type of fraid going on Just for agreeing to mail the packages for them innocently and not knowing about anything if there is something wrong ?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 27 days ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 27 days ago.

How well do you know your friend that you have been communicating with for two years? Is he just someone you have met electronically but have no actual personal relationship with? Are you mailing the packages back overseas?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I met him online and yes the packages were going to South Africa they had them sent to my home address in some lady's name and sent me labels to my email with the same ladys name but my address on it for the DHL carrier and apparently were prepaid labels
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I took the package for mailing yesterday and then found out it was being held at DFW with DHL in the fraud dept just kind of scary to me wish I had not have helped them
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 27 days ago.

Give me some time while I type a response. Thanks for your patience.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 27 days ago.

There is no legitimate reason for your "friend" to enlist your aid in this matter. And of course, you can contact DHL with a long distance phone call from anywhere in the world. He's lying to you, and it goes without saying that if he can have the packages shipped to you, he could reship them himself. The only reason to do it this way is so that the packages will trace to you and not to him.

He's either got you trafficking in stolen goods, which were ordered with someone's stolen credit card and that's why he is taking himself out of the equation, or he's got you mailing contraband out of the country. From what you tell me, it looks like the latter.

Can you get in trouble? Potentially, yes, though it may be nipped in the bud now. Talk to your "friend" and let him know that from here, this is his problem. Then you ought to cease any further contact with your "friend" -- you don't need friends like this one -- and sit tight. If you are contacted by DHL pass this to the original sender. Save all correspondence about this so that you can demonstrate if it ever becomes relevant that you are the innocent victim of a reshipping scam. If you are contacted by the authorities, say nothing about this until you have retained a criminal lawyer.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Omg the later meaning mailing contraband being 2 computers
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Can they arrest me for this oh jesus
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 27 days ago.

If it's contraband, they would more likely just seize the goods. There are only two computers involved. But if they did feel you were part of a conspiracy to traffic internationally, you could face Federal charges.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 27 days ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.