Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I gave a person saying that he was a contractor a deposit of

Customer Question

I gave a person saying that he was a contractor a deposit of $2,500 to do some work on my home and he cashed the cashiers check the next day and never returned to do the work.
I paid for the materials $2.096 myself on my Loews credit card. They came back and picked up the materials and credited my card. Now I need to know what I can do to get my money back from this person.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 27 days ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You can file a lawsuit against the person who took your money. Here is more information on the process:

If you haven't already, you also have the ability to call police and report "Theft by deception." See if they'll investigate. You can also check to see if this person has a license, and if they don't, report them to the Maryland Department of Labor for fraudulently representing himself. The state also has addresses for licensed contractors, so if he's there, that will tell you where to send the Complaint after you file.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 26 days ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?