Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I run a retail store, i am in the process of renewing my

Customer Question

good morningi run a retail store, i am in the process of renewing my store lease for another 5 years, the landlord never sent a renewal letter, so i found out all of a sudden that i have to negotiate a new lease, they increased the rent to about 12% , and i agreed, everything was going smoothly when the Landlord's Attorney ( which is a separate entity and a third party they just hire) asked me to pay :- $1500 Consent Fee( they also name it Assignment Fee)
- an additional one month deposit which is $3300, they already have $5700 when i signed my original lease 5 yrs agothe landlord HQ(DDR) is in Ohio btw, with a local office here in Tampais that legal in Florida to ask for all these fees ? also should not the security deposit be held in savings account and i get the interests?thanks
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Commercial leases are not like residential leases. These fees, consent charges and deposits over 1 month rent can be charged because it is a commercial lease. So, you do not have to agree to those charges and you have the right to negotiate them down, but they do have a right to ask for them and they are not illegal. Commercial leases do not follow the residential rules including with holding of deposits in interest accounts.