CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

I was told I was getting back 12000 for a workmanship con

Customer Question

I was told I was getting back 12000 for a workmanship con settlement and lawyer said they also was paying attorney fees. But when I signed the papers he called in his secretary and said isn't there other fees of 4000 and then says I'm only getting back 8000. I feel tricked and confused.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While it is possible that your attorney is taking advantage of you - in which case I would suggest that you contact your local bar association and ask about their "fee dispute program" (most bar associations have fee dispute programs to help clients resolve these types of disputes), I would suggest that you contact your attorney again and ask him to clarify the breakdown of your settlement.

If there is something that you do not understand (such as the additional $4,000.00 expense or cost that was identified, it is far better to ask and have the attorney explain it, oftentimes a simple explanation as to where the money is going makes the difference between a misunderstanding and a dispute between the client and the attorney.

Your attorney should be willing to explain the distributions from your settlement. This is part of our job, and most attorneys are willing to do so - partly because we take pride in our work, but also because it is one of the best ways of avoiding a dispute.

(So that is where I would recommend you start. If that fails, then consider fee dispute resolution).