Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I purchase a vehicle from a used car dealer. I was not

Customer Question

I purchase a vehicle from a used car dealer. I was not offered a warranty, so I did not purchase a warranty. 9 days after I purchased the car, the air compressor locked up, causing the power steering to stop working and the water pump to stop workiing.. I feel like the dealership should be responsible for the repairs, as well as the towing cost. I was out of town and there is a $250 towing fee. Please let me know what my options are. Thank you!
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oklahoma
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: ,,no, the car is 10 years old. It is a 2006 Mercedes ML 350, with 73,000 miles. The interior and exterior are in perfect condition, I was led to believe this was an excellent car. This happened the 1st time that i had the car on the highway.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The dealer is just saying they are not responsible, they can't predict what will happen after you purchase a used car. I feel like 9 days, should fall under some kind of lemon law, and they should pay for the repairs and the towing fee.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Did you have your own mechanic inspect the vehicle before the purchase?

Was the purchase as-is? Were there any written representations from the seller regarding the compressor?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did not have a mechanic inspect it. Purchase was as is no writer reps about the compressor. However, I feel like the seller should pay for the repairs as a "good will" agreement, to protect their professional reputation and customer satisfaction..
Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

I agree with you. They should pay for the repairs. Unfortunately, their professional reputation and customer satisfaction are up to them and you have no legal basis to force the payment for repair after an as-is purchase.

You can file a consumer complaint with the Oklahoma Attorney General. The AG will contact them and it may intimidate them into providing you better customer service.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 7 months ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?