KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.

I signed up earlier this year for a $5,000 12-week business

Customer Question

I signed up earlier this year for a $5,000 12-week business training course, which I paid for in full at the beginning. Unfortunately, I had to drop out after the first week, with the understanding that I could re-enroll in the fall when life settled down.
Well, life didn't settle down, but got more complicated and I ended up going back to work full time and shuttering my business. When I approached the training company about getting a partial (at least) refund, I was told they didn't offer refunds after week one and I'm out of luck.
I feel that I should be due at least a partial refund since I never took the course apart from week one and I'm wondering if I have any legal recourse. I'm in Arizona and the training company is based in Georgia. All training was done online or via podcast. Can you advise me? Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. What does the agreement/contract state about refunds and in those situations where you are unable to not attend the 12 week course?Did they ever promise you a refund or when it comes to the class, you can simply return and use it and complete it, when you can?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He says the policy states no refunds after the 1st week.

Thank you. If the contract states that no refunds will be given after the first week, then that is what is going to control, since the parties agreed to that. This is not a situation whereby they are unable to perform and provide the 12 week class, which would entitle you to a refund but a situation whereby you are simply not able to attend the 12 week class because of outside obligations, you need to deal with. It does not appear the company did anything wrong and if this happened after the first week, they would not have to refund any money. Moreover, they shared that they are allowing you to come back and enroll, so it is not as if you can not obtain what you paid for. As such, they do not have to provide you with a partial refund, only honor that you can re-enroll.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 29 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!