Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Had a head gasket on a 2000 Mazda 626. Has 189k miles in

Customer Question

Had a blown head gasket on a 2000 Mazda 626. Has 189k miles in great condition. In June decided to up the ante to replace original parts, however prior to my gasket being blown after 4 major repairs my car was running well- just wanted to keep it another 4 years. However, when talking to the headquarter supervisor, he explained about a throttle hose, in which it went unchecked. Was upset after spending $4400 to now have a car with many new parts toasted. Want to know what are my rights, supervisor did not offer compensation, though I did have my thermostat replaced, alternator, timing belt, bottom radiator hoses, new plugs/wires and flushes. Vehicle has never stalled on me all the time I owned until I decided to have the shop repair to keep the car running.
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: Changed it in June along with a state inspection mandate.
JA: Are you fixing your 626 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had shop do all repairs needed.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Have to pick up my car thursday to have it removed. Want to know what are my rights as a customer to get compensation for shop not checking everything possible like I requested-letting them know I want to invest the money to keep the already good car running longer?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
For mechanical repairs in order to hold the shop liable you need to prove that the work they actually did or you paid them to do was the cause of your damage. So. if you paid them to do the work and they either did it negligently or failed to do the work you paid for, then they would be liable for the damage it caused to your car. You would need another mechanic expert to testify as to how the first shop was negligent and the cost of repairing the damage caused by their negligence in order to succeed in a suit against the shop.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would that mean towing my vehicle to another shop to have it examined?
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid so, since you cannot rely on the current shop to report themselves if they were indeed negligent in their repairs.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. Another question. Would checking for head gasket issues be part of replacing thermostat, in a mechanics check list, before commencing to full repair. My car was running well each time prior to vehicle break down.
Thank you for your reply.
I am not a mechanic, I am an attorney. When I have a car problem I bring my car to the mechanic and when my mechanic has a legal problem he comes to me. So, honestly that is why you have to take the car to another mechanic expert, because only they can tell you what should have been checked and what work should have been done when changing out the thermostat.