Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I bought a car on Saturday from a small dealer in florida

Customer Question

I bought a car on Saturday from a small dealer in florida and on sunday the car over heat..... called the dealer they had the car towed back to their yard I asked to cxl the loan/deal as I did not have the car for 24hrs... first they agreed then they fixed the car and continue to stall 3 days after the owner sd he will not cxl the transaction as the finance company alrdy pay out..... they said the car is fixed and I can come and get it I got the car and on my way home the car over heated again.... this time they did not tow the car they sent their mechanic to the parking lot fix the car.... called and sd the car is mine to go get it... I spoke with finance company they said they cannot cxl the loan the dealer has to do so and I don't want the car they said they will place an involuntary reposition on my credit....
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?
Customer: Florida a small dealer (buy here pay here and it did include a AS
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: "IS Clause
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I did not contact the manufacturer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Just to confirm, this is a used car?

Also, the loan was disbursed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, when you purchase a car as-is you are basically letting the seller off the hook for any maintenance problems which may exist at the time of the sale or may develop shortly after. Assuming the seller has not switched out equipment or rolled back the odometer, they have no liability to you for any problems with the vehicle once you drive it off the lot. After you pay the purchase price and take possession the seller has no legal obligation to cancel the sale, absent a provision in the contract to the contrary.

That is why many people who buy an as-is vehicle will insist, before they buy, that it be inspected by their own mechanic.

You can file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general. They will investigate and take appropriate action.