Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

I would like to address a question regarding a visit to the

Customer Question

I would like to address a question regarding a visit to the dentist. In the last June, I went to a dentist for a regular check-up and cleaning. The visit included bite radio graphic images so the dentist could tell me what kind of cleaning I needed. The hygienist who took the x-rays said that she should check with the dentist first in order to confirm that I needed a deep oral cleaning. He sat for 5 minutes at the room, barely looked at my teeth and told me I needed some fillings as well. The estimate for the deep cleaning and dental service was very expensive, then I decided to go to another clinic where they took a panoramic x-ray and proceeded with regular oral cleaning in the same day. I did not come back at the first doctor since I did not find it trustworthy and I did like it either .
The problem is that the first doctor sent me a bill charging me $175.00 for comp. oral evaluation and Intraoral-complete series(which I assume are the x-rays). In the same bill there is a statement saying: "went to another office and insurance paid them and not your claim at our office."
Is there anything that can be used in my defense based on this case?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

You can dispute the bill or part of the bill with the first dentists office. You need to write back to them and state that you refuse to pay the bill because you believe the care your received was substandard and that the office seemed more intent on up charging you then providing the service you needed.

Be prepared for the dentist to forward the bill to a collection agency. They may also file a report to the credit reporting agencies. If so you will want to dispute any such report.

You should know that it is unlikely (but possible) that they would sue over $175.00. But they will send you bills.

You may also file a complaint with the State Board of Dental Examiners:

http://www.ncdentalboard.org/contact.htm

They do not do billing disputes, but can look into any improper practices.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** did not contact the insurance company yet; would that make any difference?

You can contact the insurance company, but the insurance copany will only pay one of the dentists, Not both.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me - Click the five stars. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.)