Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Last payment on a credit card was 9/2/2011 before I

Customer Question

Last payment on a credit card was 9/2/2011 before I defaulted. An attorney who probably bought the debt filed a suit against me last month. Does the statute of limitation (Florida) apply if they filed suit before the five years? Mediation date is set for September 30.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The statute of limitations in Florida is five years for a written contract under F.S. §95.11(2)(b). This means that if the last payment was on 9/2/2011, the statute of limitations is up on 9/2/2016. As such, if the attorney filed the lawsuit in August, they beat the statute of limitation by about a month, meaning the suit is not constrained by statute of limitations, I am afraid.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.