CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

Publishers clearing House posted me as the winner of

Customer Question

Publishers clearing House posted me as the winner of $10,000. Then hours later they said it was a mistake. do I have a case against them
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

More likely than not - you do not have a claim.

To determine whether you do you will have to carefully review the rules of the contest that you were enrolled under - these were of course drafted by the company running the contest (in your case Publisher's Clearing House), and they will usually be drafted in such a way that allows them to correct erroneous postings.

Usually what will occur in situations where there is an erroneous posting (as opposed to sending you a notice stating that you were a winner with additional information to send back your tax forms, etc. that would accompany an award), the company simply sends an apology (they may send a gift or some other trinket to try to soften the loss).

However, if they did actually send you a formal notice of an award along with the accompanying tax information, etc. - you may actually have a claim (again, check your rules or terms of service). If this is the case, you will need to follow their dispute procedure (again in the rules) - this may require you to go through arbitration as opposed to filing a lawsuit against them.