Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I took my car to Pep Boys for a oil change and the oil plug

Customer Question

I took my car to Pep Boys for a oil change and the oil plug was striped out. Pep Boys is claiming they are not responsible since they did not do the last oil change. The last company who changed the oil before Pep Boys claim they did nothing wrong since the care did not leak for over three thousand miles. I now have a leak nearing a quart + a week and a bill near $600.00. My question is who bares the responsibility for the repair of the new oil pan?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Arguably, the responsibility lies with the last company, if their work (stripping the oil plug) was outside the standard duty of care by a mechanic/garage (going to negligence). Ergo, if so, then they are liable for the damage caused to the vehicle.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.