Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

VT** My ex left me with horses that I must now get rid of.

Customer Question

VT** My ex left me with horses that I must now get rid of. I'm looking to donate them but I do not want my ex to learn of their whereabouts so that he can repurchase them (he was supposed to have trained them for resale in order to repay debts to me, but he failed to follow through). Can I write that as a condition of the purchase and sale agreement? I k now that for houses there are 'deed restrictions,' and it's kind of the same scenario here. Just don't know if it can be applied to personal property.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you can apply the same restrictions to the donation/sale. So long as the restrictions do not deal with race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, or other prohibited grounds, you should be able to include them as conditions for the gift/sale.