How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 36682
Experience:  I have more than 25 years experience in the legal profession.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband's employer reported to our bank about potential

Customer Question

My husband's employer reported to our bank about potential embezzlement activity that may have involve him and several of his colleagues where company funds were being diverted into his and their individual checking account. Because we also have joint checking and saving at the bank when notified, the bank froze our joint and checking and saving and place a "debit hold" on the accounts balance. It looks like they are working on closing the accounts, is the bank required to return the accounts balances back to us after they close the account?
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Texas, no not at the moment
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: I have contacted the bank
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just want to know if the bank is going to return the accounts balances after they close the accounts and or allow his employer to debit the accounts balances?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While your bank will eventually return to you and your husband funds which are found to not have been illegally diverted from the company to your account, but which in fact legally belong to the two of you (which could be all of those funds), the fact that the bank closed the accounts only means that they are not usable by you at the moment. The money will be held pending the outcome of your bank's investigation as well as what is certain to be a criminal investigation relating to the allegations of embezzlement.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,


Related Consumer Protection Law Questions