Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

My daughter and I had to sell our house in January2016. Sold

Customer Question

My daughter and I had to sell our house in January2016. Sold so fast, entire house went into storage. Several hardships, including medical, have made it harder to get adjusted. In apartment 5 months, could not renew. Now homeless. House money went all to storage. We only get Widow's SS, so our income is timed. We went from 5 storage bins to 2. However, one was late and their lock put on...the one with most of our personal, unrecoverable, home items are in. We did everything we could to raise the money. I finally went to life insurance and was able to get from that. However, I was notified that the check was coming from corporate and wouldn't arrive until, probably, 3-4 days After the auction. I had told them I would have the money definitely, but they said they couldn't do anything about it. We are devastated. There were boxes in their pertaining to her father, who died when she was 3...the only reminder of him, videos and pictures. This is a nightmare! What can I do. I have read the PA Lien Law. He wouldn't even give me the day before to pay. (whole day before auction. it's like losing another family member.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: manufacturer?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been at my bins daily and was in touch with the managers constantly. I was given notice that the auction was to be at 3:30pm, 9/13. I found out that it was online and ended by 2pm. I had a friend that came 2 hours down to be at auction, to bid, and buy. What a shock, no one there. I am too overwhelmed with what has been happening the last couple of months, and my 16yr old daughter is devastated that she lost her link to her too. Hardships happen, no one helps.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can try to do at this point would be to sue the storage center to recover for monetary damages for the contents of the storage bin. However, the court will not take into consideration the sentimental value of the contents. The court will only consider the actual cash value of them.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.