California Lawyer
California Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice in California

I purchased a used car last night from a local dealership.

Customer Question

I purchased a used car last night from a local dealership. The sale took place around 9pm. In the process I agreed to a vehicle protection plan at $2998.00, Clearplate at $375.00 and GAP protection at $400. This morning I contacted USAA to get my insurance coverage switched from my old car. They asked if I was interested in financing with them and I was quoted a much lower APR plus at least $2500 savings on the 3 above mentioned options. I went to the dealership with an authorization from USAA including a check and was told that I had no recourse as the loan was digitally processed and their hands were tied. Am I being lied to by the dealership or are they right.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Colorado
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: No, Do you mean the car maker?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Based on what you describe, you have a binding contract with the dealership. The fact that you subsequently found that you could have gotten some of these things elsewhere cheaper does not mean the dealership did anything wrong.

I wish I could offer a better answer, but absent some sort of fraud, I think you have little recourse. You might be able to refinance some of this with USAA.

I hope this helps.