Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I was contacted the Consumer Protection Bureau that I won

Customer Question

I was contacted the Consumer Protection Bureau that I won $525,000 from the American Sweepstakes Network. He provided me the claim # and the contact person from the American Sweepstakes. The person also gave me his name, phone # and the Consumer Protection Bureau's website. His picture was shown. He wanted to assure me that this was not a scam.
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The Consumer Protection Bureau is located in Washington D.C (phone #: (703/291-4483). He provided me with this information as well.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Yes. I spoke with the American Sweepstakes Network representative. (702/487-3779).
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was told they paid the State Tax and.the Luxury tax. The agent said I had to pay 1% of the prize. He said under the Patriot Law, they are not able to pay for this. He said this money is for a Registration Bond and it would be paid to A.I.G.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. Do you recall ever entering a sweepstakes with them? Were you contacted via email?