Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.

Is it illegal to give a licensed contractor a check for a

Customer Question

Is it illegal to give a licensed contractor a check for a job he did for you, knowing that the bank account did not have enough money to cover the check.
Telling the contractor he could cash the check 2 days later and then put a stop payment on the check.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey and I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your question now. Are you online at this time?

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

While this is unlawful under California's bad check law, as it's a form of fraud, since there's a contract involved, you would probably not get prosecuted for it. More likely the contractor would take you to court for the money, where he could potentially get treble damages from you under California law. See link.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.