Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My 17 year-old child was taken to the emergency room and

Customer Question

My 17 year-old child was taken to the emergency room and evaluated by a psychiatrist. Eventually he was put onto a GA 1013 form, at which point I was told that he was a ward of the state and I could not leave with him. Later it was determined that he needed to be transferred to another facility. When I offered to drive him myself, i was told that because of the 'ward of the state' status it wasn't possible for me to transport him. He was transferred to the other facility via ambulance. About two months afterward, I received a $1,350 ambulance bill for the transfer which was fewer than 5 miles. My question is, if the child was a ward of the state at the time of the transfer, am I responsible for the bill?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, you are. Even if he was a ward of the State, you as the parent is still legally responsible for the bill because the State did not terminate your parental rights. As a parent, you have legal obligation to pay for his support. However, you can contact the ambulance company to see if the bill can be reduced.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,