Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I received a notification in the mail from the Lexus

Customer Question

I received a notification in the mail from the Lexus dealership, that my car (a 2007 Lexus) had a defective airbag and was being recalled, but that they didn't have the necessary part to fix that Lexus. I took my car in. They said the car was dangerous, they couldn't repair it, and they suggested I trade it in for another Lexus and they would give me a good deal on another car. That day I bought a preowned car August 30, 2016 at the dealership, and traded in my car. I signed all legal documents and traded in my car. I drove the car home that day and I still have it. This morning September, the guy that I purchased the car from at Lexus calls me and tells me that I owe $500 additional dollars on this car.
I don't understand how/why that is when 1. They got my old car, 2. The car traded in had a defective airbag which could not be repaired, 3. I'm wondereing also that since they know that I am a retired teacher they want to try and take advantage of me because of my age,etc.
Can you help me ? I live in Kentucky
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

In this situation you should be given your money back so you may purchase a car of your choosing and need not accept anything short of that unless they offer a replacement acceptable to you.

If they are not being reasonable, you have some options. Hang on for that. Need a couple of moments to assemble it for you!

I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Kindly rate me five stars.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately, I am retired and live off my teachers retirement salary. I want to keep the car I bought I just do no want to pay an additional $500 dollars. If I have to take additional actions I will. It's real strange too because he called me this morning asking me how I felt about the car, and how did it drive,etc. He then called up about an hour ago asking for $500 additional dollars.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't really understand the reason he gave for the extra $500 dollars.

completely understand, but if there are safety issues they need to be addressed, and without any charge to you.

threatening the options I mentioned above may get them to reconsider!

have a nice weekend.

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

thanks in advance.