How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 110401
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a customer in Antigua who we have shipped product to.

Customer Question

I have a customer in Antigua who we have shipped product to. They owe us about $10k on an invoice from about 8 months ago. We have sold to them in the past and have often got paid late. But this an entirely new level of lateness. She has paid some of the invoice, but still owes over half of it. We have tried countless emails and phone calls - and zero luck. At this point, she simply seems to be playing the avoidance card (i don't live in USA, etc)
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Apologize - thought it was obvious, but looking back at it perhaps not. I am clearly owed and entitled the money from this invoice. As explained, she is not seeming to be proactive in payment or even responding to us at this point. How can I get paid? What are my options being that we are based in California and she (although from USA) is based in Antigua??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, you are clearly owed the money, I just wanted to know what specifically you wanted to know. Thank you for clarifying
Unfortunately, with her being in Antigua the only way you can sue her (which is your only option) is you would have to sue her in Antigua for your money. She likely knows this, which is why she is giving you a hard time. You cannot sue her in CA, because the CA court does not have personal jurisdiction over her.
So, this means you would need to get an attorney in Antigua which you can do at the same sites used by other attorneys,

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions