Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

My husband and I sold a parts motorcycle that we had setting

Customer Question

Hello, My husband and I sold a parts motorcycle that we had setting under our car port to a man that saw it while we were having a garage sale. We had owned the parts bike since 2011, never rode it, only took parts off it to put on our nicer identical cycle. We never had the parts bike tagged or even knew we should since it was only stored here for parts. But the man worked on the bike, apparantely put some money in it and rode it, then took it to a tag agency to get it tagged. The tag agency couldn't tag it because we, the last owners had n ever tagged it. We did not know that you had to tag a cycle that wasn't being ridden, only a parts bike. Two months later or so, the mans wife called (today) and said that we had sold the bike illegally because it was not tagged and she is threatening to take us to court anbd she says she has talked to the district attorney about our c riminal actions and going to lso sue us for her court costs. She also wants to bring the bike back, I told her that we would ned the title that we gave them and we would get it brought up to date properly, and this was not done maliciously, but in ignorance on our part, not trying to deceive anyone. When I ask her for the title, she said if we paid her the purchase price of $1500.00 she would give me the title, but she would also bring the bike back to us. At first she wanted us to give her $2000.00 for the bke and the title, and I told her she only paid $1500.00 for it, but that they came on our property, ask to buy the bike, we had not adv ertised it to them.She will not give us a chance to make the title up to date at all, was very irate saying she didn't want her husband to buy it anyway and it had been just a source of trouble between them. my question is, what do we do since she refuses to bring us the title to het corrected? We are not dishonest people, this was just a mistake of lack of knowledge on our part for not knowing they could not purchase a parts bike that had not been ridden. We had no idea that he would get it running, as we did not have it running. What kind of legal advice can you give us on this problem. She says she has already spoke with the district attorney. Tank you. Mrsrs. Richard Sneed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

I am sorry this happened. I will do the following: 1. suggest options for pursuing a case 2. preparation tactics 3. way to find a local lawyer if you still wish to involve one but can save on fees by following steps 1 and 2You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck.Kindly rate me five stars.