Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

Took PHD classes on line from Capella University now I lost

Customer Question

took PHD classes on line from Capella University now I lost one piece of paper with signatures on it and they will not give me my diploma. I was pregnant and delivered at 25 weeks my child was in the NICU in Texas for 104 days, Now he is home and my husband and my family moved back to upstate New York where we are from. I am home with the baby and not working my husband has a job. I cannot get the job I want because I don't have my PHD that they are holding. I sent them Dr. records, copy of my transcript to show that I have done everything required and they had approved my dissertation. I have been arguing over this since March. How can I get my degree
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me exactly what document was lost that the University is demanding?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A signature paper with some outside people to say she did research material. The research material should show up on a page in the dissertation It was misplaced by accident with everything going on with the baby and an emergency c section. The only piece of paper missing. They want her to do a capstone, she cannot afford to put forward any more money as she is not working
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
Can you please be more specific:
-What do you mean by "outside people?"
-Why can she not simply re-do the document and get the same people to sign off on it (again)?
-Is this document necessary for her to pass a class that is the last credit for her graduation?
-what is a capstone?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Outside people are teachers, advisor who know she did the research and signed a document saying so. She tried but no longer lives in Texas they School, said she needs it but the dissertation is the big thing for graduation. She has tried to contact her advisor who told her she didn't need this document but she doesn't return any calls. capstone is more classes to cover for this document, she doesn't have the money for this and isn't working
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
I asked:
"Why can she not simply re-do the document and get the same people to sign off on it (again)?"
You stated that she contacted her adviser, who is not the same person. You also stated "She tried but no longer lives in Texas they..." I am not sure what you mean here. Regardless, even if they live in another state, it cannot be that difficult for those people to simply sign the document again and send it off via fax, etc? Happens all the time. Are they simply REFUSING to sign again? Or are not responding?
Also, are these people affiliated with the school (professors, teachers, etc), or not?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her old advisor does not answer her phone. She tried to ask the school to allow her to do this and they wouldn't let her. We feel that she is getting the run around. This new advisor who is looking into this said they needed her dissertation again which she sent , After 3 weeks she contacted him again and he said we are trying to work this out, but no other answer. Today, Mon Sept 12, he is having a phone conference with her and having her repeat everything she told him since July. Sounds like a scam to me. She already paid for degree by student loans, so doesn't owe the College anything, Are you just supposed to throw that money away because of a piece of paper they claim she is not in compliance over that one piece of paper
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure if we are communicating or not. Please be specific in your replies as nuances really matter here. Please reply specifically to the following:
1) Why can she not simply re-do the document and get the same people to sign off on it (again)?
2) Who are these "outside people?" Are they affiliated with the school? You do mention "teachers, advisers," but you are not specific as to their affilication with the school.
3) Are they simply REFUSING to sign again? Or are not responding? Or, are they willing to re-sign, but, the school is refusing this and demands the original?