KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.

We had an Air Conditioning rep come to our house this past

Customer Question

We had an Air Conditioning rep come to our house this past Saturday to repair our 10 year old air conditioner. The cost of the repair was $5,1119.00, another Air Conditioning rep from a different company said the bill should have been around $500.00. While I was upset with the price gouging of the 1st company, I was more upset when I called them and asked a question regarding my bill and was told " I don't have to tell you anything". I told him that it was no way to conduct business and I was going to contact the Better Business Bureau, he threatened to place my credit card information, my address and telephone number online and that people would be harassing me 24/7. Is that legal? He went on to say that on the back of what I thought was an invoice, that there was a confidentiality clause that I could not contact the Better Bureau Agency or file a complaint. He said he would sue me for twice the amount of his bill because I agreed to their contract. My husband did sign what he thought was an invoice but did not have time to read, nor were the "important sections" identified or explained to him.
They have all this language on their invoice, but was not given to my husband until the job was finished, less than 2 hrs and was told simply to sign here.I feel this company was using extortion techniques and price gouging. Can a company threaten to release my credit card information and other personal date online for questioning a bill? Sorry I was so lengthy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. No, the company can NOT post your personal information or credit card information online, as that is illegal. You have ever legal right to question the bill and if this was all on it and disclosed AFTER the work was done, it could be argued that it was hidden and deceptive and had you know about not being able to contact the BBB or any other State agency, you may have never agreed to the work. They can not do the work and then after the fact add these disclosures and not make you aware. Moreover, if there is a good faith dispute, you can file a complaint with the BBB or call the State an Attorney General and get them involved. If you think they ripped you off as well and price gouged, that could be look into by the agencies stated above.

In addition, the company can not prevent him/you from doing something you had a legal right to do, if there is a problem. The company can not prevent you from filing a legitimate complaint if they refuse to solve and correct this.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!