Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

Is it true that there is a Federal law protecting consumers

Customer Question

Is it true that there is a Federal law protecting consumers against used car dealers, stating that the consumer has 7 days to return a vehicle for full reimbursement?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good day. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

No, there is no federal law allowing the return of a used vehicle within 7 days, or any other time frame.

For the purchaser to have such a right it would need to be specifically stated in the contract.

Otherwise, the sale is final and the dealer has no inherent legal obligation to rescind the sale and refund the purchaser's money.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.