KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.

We have been contacted by a lawyer from wasington dc that

Customer Question

We have been contacted by a lawyer from wasington dc that says he has been hired for the last 19 yrs to call people and award people money from American sweepstakes network. He 1st said we won 450,000$ and we needed to Send 4,5oo $ as a refundable fee per the federal government. Now he says that he can give us 4.2 million dollars if we pay 12,ooo $ a refundable fee. Yes we already sent him the 4500$
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: California. husband believes this person.but I think it is a scam.
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Do you mean American sweepstakes network
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No,but I will try and contact the sweepstakes network tomorrow am
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 1 month ago.

Good evening. Yes, this is a scam. Do not send him any more money. If any money was won, it would be paid to you. Nobody has to pay any fees to collect money which they legally have a right to and you should not give him another penny. You can call them tomorrow and verify this but if you won anything, they would have contacted you directly, paid you and not asked you to pay any fee.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.