Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

How do I dispute improper credit card charges?

Customer Question

Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Are you online with me?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for you patience as I type the answer.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Disputing a fraudulent or unauthorized charge on your credit card statement is a very simple and straightforward process. First, and easiest, you can do it on the telephone by calling a customer service rep. You can also do it online on the credit card company's website when you open a statement.

You will be asked to explain the circumstance surrounding the charge and the company will reach out to the merchant for proof of your authorization or that you received whatever you were charged for. While they investigate they will credit your account for the disputed amount.

When they complete the investigation, in about 90 days or so, they will either reinstate the charge, if the merchant proves is validity, or remove it permanently.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.