Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am in NJ. I went to buy a new car and they required me to

Customer Question

I am in NJ. I went to buy a new car and they required me to test drive the car before they would run numbers. I didn't and don't want to do that. Can the dealership make me drive the car before running numbers? And if I drive the car does that mean that I have taken ownership and they can legally require me to go through with the purchase?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

Can the dealership make me drive the car before running numbers?

Response 1: No, they cannot. However, it would be in your interest to test drive the car to make sure that there is nothing wrong with it. Also, if you do do a test drive, the test driving must be done with the dealer's salesperson in the car with you.

And if I drive the car does that mean that I have taken ownership and they can legally require me to go through with the purchase?

Response 2: No, it does not. This is actually for your own good. You need to test drive the car to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the car before you sign the papers. Until papers are signed, you do not own the car and the dealership cannot make you purchase it by just test driving it.

You must have a valid license to test drive the car.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much!

You are quite Welcome!

Kindly take a minute to give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for addressing your concerns.

Thank you!