Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I rented a boat from Broken Bow Marina. The boat had

Customer Question

I rented a boat from Broken Bow Marina. The boat had mechanical difficulty and had tone towed in. The problem was diagnosed as a service department error. The marina checked the boat back in, gave us a discount and I verified this was my final total. When I received my credit card bill I had an additional charge for 1590.00 for repairs they billed after the fact. I called 14 times and sent a certified letter trying to find out what the charge was for. They are now saying it was prop damage. The prop was cleared when they checked the boat in. I disputed the charge with my credit card. They are not threatening to sue unless I let the charge go through. I feel as though they are trying to pass their service error off on a consumer. Should I bother getting an attorney or just pay the 1590.00?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the boat was checked when you brought it in and there was no prop damage, then you have grounds to inform them that this charge is fraudulent and that if they try to pursue you, then you will file a claim against them for unfair and deceptive practices. Again, if you can prove when you brought the boat in that the prop was clear, you can fight them and if they sue you can turn around and countersue for unfair and deceptive practices. They would bear the burden that you were the one who caused the prop damage, but if you brought it in and they cleared the prop, they should have a problem with proving that.