CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
71563194

Do you have expert high percentage success in settling

Customer Question

Do you have expert high percentage success in settling unpaid hospital bills (in L.A., CA) that have gone to Judgement, lien, garnishment and levied so far on one employer and one bank account for ~$1000 of the total $10,000 owed? I want to negotiate-settle for as least amount of $ as possible ASAP. Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

I am very sorry to learn of this situation.

I have handled these cases for several clients in the past, but I will tell you that as far as dealing with your specific matter, you have gone far past the usual point where we have a lot of leverage to dispute the claim (you are post-judgment and already in judicially enforced collections).

That being said, you can still try to work with the creditor.

-Did you complete a "Payment Assistance Application" with the hospital?

-Did you apply for medical/medicare retroactively? (meaning did your application include a request for benefits going back to the date of service)

-Are you working with bills limited just to the hospital, or are these other providers (commonly clients will have multiple creditors as the physicians, or physician groups, labs, and other providers will bill separately from the hospital - but this is not always the case).

Dear Customer, I do not participate in the phone call program for the site, however, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions. (If you have questions about these additional services, you can contact our customer service at: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help). Most customers receive a phone call within 15-30 minutes.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have you tried calling me at(###) ###-####as of 5:44 P.M(PST)?

I did not. You will receive a notification from the other expert when they accept your phone call request.

If you have any issues with the "Premium Services" (phone call request), or if you do not receive a call within a reasonable time, please contact our customer service at the link above (or here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help) and they can quickly assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
WHAT IS HAPPENING...I rectified my payment info....I'M WAITNG.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why have you charged me the full amount plus attempted to charge me a 3rd amount without finishing my session?

Let me send your question to our Customer Service again and hopefully they will be able to assist you with this. (They will resolve your billing issue as well as ensure you get your phone call that you are requesting).

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to continue our session now. Are you available?

I am.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You have a less than admirable platform causing me undue stress with phone options with no statement of cost upfront jand that u do not du phone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also my credit report has the judgement on it and i heard tha t i should demand a Dismissal Contract
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are u there?

I am sorry for the issues with the forum.

Lets focus on your debt collection action at hand.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
lets speed it up...been on line w ur co 2hrs

The Credit Reporting Bureaus (all 3 of the "major" ones - Experien, Equifax, TransUnion) pull data from the courts automatically - so your judgment is going to be reported simply because it was entered.

What would be the basis to have your judgment set aside? (Was it entered by "default" (where you didn't show up), how long ago was it?)

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no show. june 2014

Unfortunately, a motion to vacate needs to be filed within 6 months of the entry of judgment. This places you too far out from the date of entry to file a motion to vacate.

You can try to get the creditor to agree to a set aside, but I haven't run into many creditors that would extend that for anything less than full payment (they gain nothing from this, it requires additional court appearances (which costs them money), and the courts do not favor these motions.

Your credit will improve considerably once a "Notice of Satisfaction" is filed. Currently your credit is being harmed not so much because a judgment is entered against you, but because there is an unpaid judgment.

So once you either pay or settle the case, that will resolve most of your credit issues.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what do i say to woman collection mgr when see says she did not purchase the debt...has to get approval from hospital who has her on contract for 8yrs...want a reason for hospital to accept a low 50% offer by peppering me w ownership Q's??
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
wht is a unclaimed offer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
again total balance is ~$10k..I offered 5k..she contered 9k when she had garnished-aced my 1000 from bank with more banks she has not levied yet

What this means is that the Hospital still owns the debt - they did not assign it or sell it to someone else, but they did retain a collection company to enforce their claim.

This can be good news if you did not do those other things I mentioned above (such as completing the Payment Assistance Application and filing for Retroactive Medical/Medicare - this is how I am able to resolve most of my client's cases).

But, if you do not answer these questions regarding assets informally, they do have a right to force you to come to the courthouse and answer in what is called a "debtor's examination" under oath, where they can investigate all of your assets and liabilities. This is how the hospital decides whether or not they should cut their obligation because you cannot pay, or if you are just trying to get a better deal

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
r u there....what else r u doing? where are ur responses?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ive got responsibilities to attend to soon
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
maybe ur system could have a chime bell option to wake on up to the responses

I am going to "opt out" and allow another expert to assist you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's not suprising