Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

Bought a new 2016 Dodge Charger in 11/28/15 bought bumper to

Customer Question

Bought a new 2016 Dodge Charger in 11/28/15 bought bumper to bumper extended warranty in addition to the Manufacturer Mopar Vehicle Warranty. My vehicle would not start after a week of normal driving and performance had it towed to the dealership that I bought it from it was a Saturday after service hours they kept it until Tuesday that week finally saying they diagnosed the problem, it was the fuel pump. They then tell me they found water in the bottom of the unit when removing it for the repair asked if I had gotten gas that week, advised I had(at my usual station, they have had no complaints or issues with bad gas) yet the dealer tells me is contaminated gas that caused the fuel pump to be damaged & therefore it is not covered under my warranty & they want $1300 to fix it. I challenged them on proving the gas was contaminated contacted Dodge Chrysler & they told me since it was not a mechanical failure they will not cover it. I am now stuck paying on my brand new car (6854 miles),incurring rental car fees to date$834 as I need a vehicle to get to & from work. The dealership claims to have sent a sample to Chrysler to have it tested which could take 2 weeks & I have no idea the quality or unbiased testing that they would do is valid. I need help I don't want to pay them $1300 for something that they cannot prove. I have not had my car since 08/20/16 which is when this nightmare started, I need my vehicle back and in perfect working running order it was in on 08/19/16. I have filed complaint with the Colorado Attorney General's office & the Better Business Bureau.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear this. I think your suspicions are spot on. You have a couple of options. You could have it towed to another mechanic who is not an agent of Dodge/Chrysler to see if their assessment is consistent with Chrysler's. Another option is to file a claim in small claims court and let them prove to the court that it was contaminated. These extended warranty issues are so typically denied by these companies. They may find it cheaper to pay for your repairs than to fight you in court.