Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I woke up this morning and found out my car has been

Customer Question

good morning i woke up this morning and found out my car has been repossess by toyota financial company. and i wanted to know what can i do to get my car back
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: 2011 toyota camry in ct
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: i was behind in 3 car payments
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The starting point is to check your contract. Sometimes, there is a clause that says, if the car is repossessed, you have to pay the loan in full to get the money back. That's called an acceleration clause. If there isn't such a clause, then you'll be required to make the outstanding payments plus any costs associated with the repossession to get the car back. If you're not able to make the payments, they'll auction the car off - but you'll still be liable for any remaining balance between the auction price and the loan. So, if there's any way to borrow enough money to make the payments, that may save you from having to pay for a car that's already been taken.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.