How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 6722
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a Citi Bank Master credit card with about $1076.34

Customer Question

I had a Citi Bank Master credit card with about $1076.34 Dividend dollars that had accumulated the rewords for years. On February of this year, there was a fraud, $53 dispute charge. Citi Bank invested and refunded $53.26 to me. They asked me to discard the card. Since Costco would issue a Citi VISA card, I told Citi Bank I do not need the new card. They closed my account without sending my dividend dollars. I called many times to ask for it. They said the account was closed, their system could not do it. They admitted it is their fault and passed to their manager. The manager told me, by contract, the dividend is gone with account closed and refused to help me on it.
How can they do this? Call me to cancel my credit card and not tell me about the consequence of closing it. Citi Bank is a big company, they can not do business this way and get away!
What shall I do ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Have you read your cardholder agreement yet, because if this term is in your cardholder agreement, they can do just what they did, forfeit your rewards upon closing your account.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, I did not. I opened this account may years ago.
They should return balance or dividend to me when closing!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Should I ask Lawyer to send them a letter?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Before you can get a lawyer to send a letter, they will need your cardholder agreement, because while you think they should return the balance to you if the cardholder agreement says otherwise they do not have to return it to you. The cardholder agreement says what they have to do or do not have to do and that is why I asked you the question I asked above.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions