Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I received a check from BillTrust Financial Incorporated

Customer Question

I received a check from BillTrust Financial Incorporated today in the mail. It appears that I am supposed to use $3400.00 out of the $3750.00 for processing fee for winnings of $250,000.00 which will be hand delivered to me. The letter has a toll free number to call and I am supposed to follow the representative's instructions. They are not asking for any of my banking information, in fact, they told me not to give out that information to anyone on their behalf. Is this for real or is it a scam?
JA: I'm the Consumer Protection Lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: So is this for real or is it a scam?
JA: I'm the Consumer Protection Lawyer's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: Ok so answer my question. Is this a scam or not?
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I don't know of anything at this point.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Yes, this is a scam. "Bill Trust Financial Inc." is a known fake (scam) company. This is a common scam where they will send you a fake check, and ask you to send money back with the promise of more to come. Your bank will advance you the money, only to have it pulled after the confirm the check is fake - only AFTER you already sent actual money from your account back to the scammer. See HERE.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.