Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

Company "Student Loan Care" reached out to me promising to

Customer Question

Company "Student Loan Care" reached out to me promising to lower my monthly payments based on Obama forgiveness bill that supposedly passed.
After speaking to them they run my loans and let me know that after they process my application with FedLoan my payments will go down by $200 and their services are only $39 per month what will be $1300 after two years.
They also said that I would not have to pay anything until my application goes through.
What triggered the alert was that I signed up ( not fully reading all documents as they really aggressively pushed all the paperwork via email asking to sign and send back) and my regular $400 FedLoan auto payment went through my bank, which triggered mi to call them back. They said they could not reverse that payment and I should block that charge through my bank!....... Ok that triggered me to call directly FedLoan services , which I should of done right the way, and come to find out that they submitted application on my name with false information. Stating that I have three dependents (I don't) and that my income is considerably less that what it is.... No surprise I can lower my payments with that data... FedLoan agent was really helpful and she was able to dismiss their application and process the new one with correct info and reasonable payments.
After all that went down I called back student loan care company and let them know that I simply want to cancel their services and I was not happy to find out that they falsely submitted my application, in response they educated me that what I signed was a loan .... For $1300 ... And if I don't pay that it will negatively result on my credit report...... Can you see that it's a scam.. I sure do now....
After reviewing all the paperwork I have from them it states that they only charging for the service of filling out the application and that I can not cancel it.
I need help because I was mislead to what I thought it was actually for and now I have to pay them $1300 for free service... That they can't even do because they falsified my data in a federal document....
What should I do next.. Also they are now extremely nasty over the phone and not calling me back so I do not believe that they will go out of their way to cancel anything so I just do not know what's next..
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The best option for you would be to contact the consumer protection division of your state's attorney general's office and file a complaint against this company. If they deceived or misled or misrepresented their services to you, etc., then the AG's office can assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

I don't see what state you're in, but if you let me know that, I can try to find you a link. Also, the good thing about pursuing this through the AG's office is that it will not cost you anything as your tax dollars pay their salary and fees.