Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I just traded in a new car I financed8 months ago. In order

Customer Question

Hello, I just traded in a new car I financed8 months ago. In order to get another vehicle from the same dealership, I had to get my mother to cosign for the new car because the bank would not finance me at the better rate. The dealership drew up the new contract for the new car listing my mother as the buyer and me as the cosigner. I signed the contract but my mother has not. They let me drive the car home and gave me the contract for my mother to sign as well. Upon driving home, issues with the new car have been found. Within 24 hrs I notified the dealer that about the issues and that I was not happy with the new car. I requested my old car back which is just sitting on their lot and asked them to void the new car contract. They refuse to do this. My question is whether the new car contract is even legally valid since my mother has not signed anything. This occurred in Georgia. Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am preparing my response to your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Contract is not valid without the signature of your mother.

The dealership must return your old car to you as the new contract is not enforceable without your mother's signature. If the dealership refuses, you can file complaint with the Better Business Bureau and your Attorney General's office. Before you file these complaints, you should make sure to speak with both the sales manager and the finance manager about your concerns.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. That’s the way that I get paid for answering questions on the site. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.