Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

Purchased a purebred puppy no contract. Breeder offered to

Customer Question

Purchased a purebred puppy no contract. Breeder offered to register, they did but put themselves down as co owner. Was not informed at time of purchase. Dog had inherited problems and breeder replaced the puppy. Breeder a month later produces a contract for me to sign to obtain registration. I signed and emailed a copy to get the papers. Breeder registered puppy but registered it in my name only. Several weeks later confronts me with paperwork for her to be a co owner. What are my rights at this point?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

are you asking if you can contest the co ownership? did breeder provide any of the purchase price or give any other value that would entitle him to ownership?

whoever is put on title is the legal owner. That said, for someone else to claim ownership or any rights, need to produce proof one agreed to add them to title. Otherwise, there is no case.