Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

I have a few questions about a used car that was purchased

Customer Question

i have a few questions about a used car that was purchased last month from a dealership. Before a month had even passed the car had completely stopped working and i was told i had a 30 day full warranty then when the truck stopped working i was told by the dealership i was wrong and i was never told this.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information. In order to assist you properly I will need a bit more information. What State did you purchase the vehicle in? Do you have the 30 day warranty in writing? Have you exhausted your efforts to obtain assistance through the dealership? Finally, what is your specific legal question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i purchased the car in NJ The30 day warranty was not in writing but i had purchased powertrain for about 2000 and found out yesterday through carfax the vehicle is still covered for emissions and drivetrain through the manufacturer. The dealership has been very rude and unprofessional. After the truck broke down we towed it to the dealer and they had the truck for about 2 weeks. i called constantly and either was not called back or was told we are working on it but it looks like consumer error fried the truck when i jumped it (I never attempted to jump the vehicle) They sent my truck to Dodge since they could not fix it and then said i owed 700 for replacing parts that they never once told me they were fixing. Nothing was gone over with me as far as repairs or the problem. I asked to see the parts that went bad i was told "No we sent them back for core charges." I refused to pay a bill i didnt authorize.
I went to the dealership they gave me my spare key and i took my truck home where it has again broken and is now sitting in my driveway.There is antifreeze all over my engine and i would like to know what are my options. Can i return the vehicle? going over my paperwork things are not signed by the dealership parts of my contract seem to be missing (The guide that is the window)

I apologize but because of time constraints, I am going to have to opt out of your question. Another Expert will let you know when they have a response for you. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

There are somethings that you can do but unfortunately New Jersey does not have a Lemon Law for used vehicles. So simply returning the vehicle is not an option.

BUT you can take a number of actions that may help you persuade the dealer to buy back the truck or get you reimbursed for the repairs:

1) If they did not provide the mandatory Warranty Notice (posted on the windshield) or the notice was incomplete you can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission for violating the Warranty Notice rules.

See here:

2) If you were sold an extended warranty that is not being honored you can file a complaint with the New Jesey Attorney General Office of Consumer Protection for fraud and unfair trade practices:

3) You can sue the dealership for fraud and unfair trade practices. If the amount is $3000.00 or less you can sue in small claims court without an attorney:

If it is more than $3,000.00 you will most likely need an attorney because the rules of court can get complicated. In which case you want a consumer protection attorney. This link can help you find a local attorney:

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
New Jersey does have a lemon law for used cars bought at the Dealership.
The New Jersey Used Lemon Car Law
Vehicles covered by the Lemon Law
The law covers only used passenger motor vehicles purchased from a used car dealer and requires the used car dealer to provide the customer with a warranty. The length of the warranty depends on the used vehicle's mileage.If a vehicle has 24,000 miles or less, the used car dealer must provide the customer with a warranty for 90 days or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.If a vehicle has more than 24,000 miles, but less than 60,000 miles, the used car dealer must provide the customer with a warranty lasting 60 days or 2,000 miles, whichever comes first.If a vehicle that has between 60,000 and 100,000 miles, the used car dealer must provide the customer with a warranty for 30 days or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first.