Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Concerning a sinkhole. If I bought a house that had a paid

Customer Question

Concerning a sinkhole. If I bought a house that had a paid sinkhole claim paid in 2010, but having read the engineering report generated by the claimant and insurance company saw no structural damage that could reasonably be attributed to a sinkhole (stated in report), how an I get this house removed from the sinkhole list? I am talking with remediators of sinkholes and it appears a great amount of damage will occur if the standard repairs are used. In essence, I would be fixing a house with no problem and the repair would most likely compromise the structure of the house. Because a sinkhole claim was paid, most likly in error or such, now what can I do to correct the situation and get our house removed from the sinkhole list.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The only way to remove the property from sinkhole lists is to have a geologist and civil engineer come to inspect the land and contradict the original report you have. Once you have the expert reports showing that there was no sinkhole and the claim was paid in error, you can challenge the listing on the sinkhole list and get the property removed, if not I am afraid you have to get it repaired