insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

My daughter bought a car from a Platinum Automotive Center

Customer Question

My daughter bought a car from a Platinum Automotive Center in July 2016. After purchasing the vehicle only to discover that the safety inspection had expired in February 2016. We have constantly ask the dealer to provide us with a updated Vehicle Registration
indicating that my daughter is the now the new owner of the vehicle so that she could get a safety check. Also my daughter just got a ticket for expired safety inspection.
The vehicle registration have expired in July 2016
It's been over a month now and still have not received an updated vehicle registration. The car is not being used at this time.
What can I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Harrison. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

They are in breach of contract and you do have recourse. Since they clearly seem to not be willing to resolve this voluntarily, you want to raise the stakes on them. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and their default in failing to provide a valid vehicle registration,, and demand they not only deliver the valid registration and pay all your damages (including the value of a rental car since you can't drive the car due to their default). Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file this suit, you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, they will settle this to your satisfaction without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the fraud and/or deceptive trade practice

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (hopefully Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!