Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I live in California and sold our trailer to someone who did

Customer Question

I live in California and sold our trailer to someone who did not register it with the DMV. A towing company ended up putting a lien on it and now we have to pay for the fees. How do we dispute this?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you did not file the proper form with DMV to notify them of the sale and change of liability, the towing company has the right to go after the last known owner. Once you prove the date of transfer of ownership to DMV, then the towing company has to go after the new owner or seek to seize the trailer and sell it to satisfy the debt and the lien would not proceed against you.