Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

My computer stopped working and it is outside of the

Customer Question

My computer stopped working and it is outside of the warranty. However it is inside the extended warranty period through the credit card I used to buy it. I contacted the out of warranty service & repair division of the manufacturer and asked what the problem was and how much it would cost to repair. I was told it was the motherboard and would cost $250 including shipping. I was sent to the company's web site where they listed the costs for out of warranty repairs, broken down by the repair. It shows $250 for a 'large repair' including motherboard repair or replacement. I paid $244 for the computer itself, so it just makes sense to claim the $244 and use it toward a new computer. After filing my claim and providing the original receipt, the credit card statement, the original warranty, a copy of the receipt from the replacement computer I purchased. The adjuster said the PDF that shows the repair categories isn't a good enough estimate because it doesn't specifically say this is what they think is wrong and this is what repairing would cost. I told that to the computer company and they said the URL I was directed to is sufficient and specific and that I should push back against the extended warranty company. I wrote a letter saying what I provided is the only thing they are able to give me, that is their policy, and I am happy to give them dates, times, names, and the phone number to verify my statements with the repairers. I received a response sayin that the quote doesn't have to come from the manufacturer's preferred repairer and if their preferred company can't give me an acceptable quote, the claim will have to be denied. I don't know what to do. I don't have a car and I can't get to another computer company, plus I would feel bad going there only for an estimate, knowing I am not going to have my computer repaired and I'm just using them to get reimbursement from the extended warranty. What do you recommend I do? Please give me specifics and be detailed. I really thank you for helping.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I hope that I can assist you. Please ask any follow up questions that you may have.

Here are the steps that you can take.

1) See if the computer repair company will send you an email or other written statement that the PC needs a motherboard and the costs. (I know that you have tried this, but try again - one last time).

2) Don't worry about getting a repair estimate knowing that you are not having it repaired. This happens all the time and is part of the business. There is not anything wrong with doing it it is perfectlly Okay and on the up and up.

3) Send a letter to the extended warranty company that if they still refuse to make the repair you will file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection and the FTC for unfair trade practices in failing to honor the extended warranty.

4) Send a copy of this letter to the Credit Card Company's Office of General Counsel. Make sue you put the CC on the letter.

You can get the address from the credit card company or by googling "General Counsel" and the name of the credit card company.

The warranty company will almost certainly relent after steps 3 and 4.

I know that it is frustrating to have to jump through hoops to get what you are entitled to. But sometimes we just have to go through this with some of these companies. They are counting on people just giving up.

Good luck.

Kind regards,

Please do not forget to rate me - click the five stars. It adds nothing to your costs but it heps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.